A Look at Our 2022 Scholarship Recipients: Cynthia Gonzalez

Through the continued generosity of the Greater Lafayette community and local businesses, the WRCC Ride Scholarship presented in memory of M. Neal Eckard was able to provide two recipient packages in 2022.

We would like to first thank our sponsors again for their donations and support!

  • Connie Deerman-Eckard
  • Tippecanoe Mountain Bike Association
  • Velo Wrench Mobile Bicycle Repair
  • Tippecanoe Animal Hospital
  • L & M Dixon Farms
  • Virtuous Cycles

In addition to the donations from the community, it goes without saying this scholarship would not be possible without the overwhelming support from members of the WRCC. Thank you!

This scholarship was created with the aim to demonstrate the Wabash River Cycle Club’s commitment to a healthy and inclusive community while improving accessibility to cycling in the Greater Lafayette area. 

In that spirit, Cindy has graciously provided us with an interview to share with us how the scholarship has impacted her cycling journey. She is now riding a brand-new, grey Jamis Citizen 2 step-thru bicycle, acquired locally from Virtuous Cycles. Along with her bike, she received a Garmin GPS computer, helmet, handlebar bag to fit all her repair tools and spare tubes, tire pump, and a plethora of other high-quality items. We look forward to seeing her this upcoming summer as she plans to join more WRCC rides and events. 



Tell us a little about yourself!

Aside from having 3 children, I am currently in nursing school at Ivy Tech and I also have 2 jobs in healthcare that I switch to and from. Nursing is my passion. I just also recently found out I got a nurse intern position at Franciscan Health Hospital. I’m going to need lots of therapeutic bike rides in my near future! 😉

What is your favorite thing about cycling or your new setup so far?

My favorite thing by far is meeting new people. There is a whole world of cycling that I didn’t know of before – and everyone is so kind, motivating, and supportive!

What WRCC event(s) have you been able to join? What did you like about them or found surprising?

I was able to join the end of the season ride for the women’s ride. It was a wonderful experience. I was able to ride with a slower group that was perfect for my level. I liked that everyone was so welcoming, and the experience definitely screamed “girl power!”.

If you have joined a WRCC ride, do you have a favorite WRCC ride leader? If so, who?

Brit was my leader for the women’s ride. She is extremely patient and gives great instruction throughout the ride. I never felt left out.

What is the weirdest or coolest piece of equipment that you have used so far?

The coolest piece of equipment would definitely have to be my Garmin GPS. It makes me confident about where I’m riding and it even tracks my progress, which I can look at on my phone after a ride!

Why did you apply for the scholarship?

I have always loved cycling as a child/teen/young adult, but now being a busy mom of three, I don’t get much time to do things I love. The scholarship allowed me to invest that time in myself. When I ride, everything is so peaceful and it’s a way to de-stress for me.

How did you react when you found out you were a scholarship recipient? Who was the ftirst person you told and why?

My brother Oscar and my sister-in-law Jenni. They are avid cyclers. Jenni was the one who shared the link with me in the beginning and encouraged me to apply. I was so shocked and excited for my new journey when I found out I was a scholarship recipient. I hope to join Oscar and Jenni on many more rides.

What is your go-to snack or beverage during and/or after a ride?

H2O! Gotta stay hydrated!

Who do you ride the most with or do you appreciate solo rides?

My family, but I also do appreciate solo rides – they are so peaceful!

What is your favorite route or scenic spot to ride by?

The route at Prophetstown State Park.

Do you have any cycling goals over the next 6-9 months? Any events you are thinking about signing up for?

My goal would be to join more WRCC events and get more comfortable with riding.

Has your perspective of cycling changed since you started riding? How did it change?

It has not changed. I’ve always enjoyed cycling. One thing I can say is that its not as easy as it used to be physically for me, but it is always so rewarding from beginning to end.

Have you convinced any friends or family to join you on a ride? (Have you gotten them to drink the bicycle kool-aid?)

Yes! My sister Jannet and my sister-in-law Jenni joined me on the women’s ride. It was so much fun.

What has been your biggest motivator to get out on your bike?

Definitely Oscar and Jenni. When it’s nice outside, I usually get a text saying “wanna ride?”.