Closing the Gap On: Tarun Tejasvi Mutukuri

The Wabash River Cycle Club's "Closing the Gap On..." blog series is a brief minute spent getting to know your diverse cycling community! If you know of someone who wouldn't mind sharing just squeaks of information about their cycling life, please contact us at wrccindiana@gmail.com to nominate them (or... yourself!)



What is your name?
Tarun Tejasvi Mutukuri
What town do you consider your original hometown?
I am from Hyderabad, India. Born and brought up there. A true Hyderabadi at heart.
What kind of work do you do? If retired, what was your life’s work?
I am a graduate student at Purdue in the department of Industrial and Physical Pharmacy. I work on manufacturing techniques for Large molecule formulations
Do you engage in any hobbies when you’re not cycling?
Most of my hobbies are related to physical fitness. I play Volleyball and Football (or as it is known in this part of the world as Soccer) once or twice a week. In summer, I’d like to do at least 3 – 4 good hikes.

What is your cycling background? Have you always biked? If you got back into cycling as an adult, how did that come about?
As a kid I used to bike to commute a lot but always on a single gear bike. This year I started to bike for more than just commute and include that as a part of my lifestyle.
Do you ever use your bike to commute?
Sometimes. I stay 4 miles from campus and I use it once in a while, but the traffic kind of scares me to use it regularly for commute.
How often do you ride your bike each week in good weather?
Try to get 2 D rides at least. Would like to ride more weather and work permitting.
Do you track your mileage? Do you have a mileage goal?
Yes I do, I wanted to do 1000 miles this season. I am 1/3 rd of my way there. Need to step it up, I guess.
What do your friends and family members think about the amount of time you spend on a bike?
It is not common for Indians to bike the distances that we do in a group ride. My family is surprised that I am able to do that especially given how physically unfit I was back in India. My friends here got interested and are considering to start biking. 
How far was your longest bike ride?
35 miles. Not, long but I am working on improving the distance.
What was your worst cycling-related injury?
I only have one injury and that was this season. A car cut me off to take a right turn and I couldn’t unclip in time to stop and get on my feet.
Do you ride hell-for-leather down hills or are you a timid descender?
Always go as fast as I can.
If you could ride your bike anywhere in the world, where would you want to go?
Swiss Alps

Do you enjoy working on your bike or do you prefer to take it to the shop for basic maintenance? For more complicated stuff?
I assembled my current bike and worked on it myself. I will go to a shop for complicated stuff.
Clipless, toe clips, or flat pedals?
Toe clips.
Hills or wind?
Hills when I am feeling good. Wind when I am exhausted.

What’s really in your water bottles?
Water and Gatorade

What is your favorite destination when you’re cycling in this area?
The Dugout – for the Icecream :-P

Who has inspired you to push yourself athletically?
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and a hero from my country named Jr. NTR
Are you working toward any cycling goals right now?
Bike for longer distances than I currently can and faster than I currently can.
How do you stay in shape over the winter?
Hit the gym and play soccer. Not more than one rest day per week.

What do you like about riding with the Wabash River Cycle Club?
The group rides are fun and make the whole experience of riding a bike more enjoyable. The club is filled with so many people who are really nice and make you feel welcome.