Closing the Gap On: Jillian Carr

The Wabash River Cycle Club's "Closing the Gap On..." blog series is a brief minute spent getting to know your diverse cycling community! If you know of someone who wouldn't mind sharing just squeaks of information about their cycling life, please contact us at wrccindiana@gmail.com to nominate them (or... yourself!)

What is your name?
Jillian Carr

What town do you consider your original hometown?
Sugar Land, TX

What is the craziest thing you’ve ever carried on a bike?
My dog! She’s only 18 lbs, and I’ve ridden with her in a backpack.

Do you track your mileage? Do you have a mileage goal?
#StravaOrItDidntHappen

How far was your longest bike ride?
210 miles at Michigan’s Coast to Coast Gravel Grinder

What was the most interesting ride you’ve done—or the hardest?
Michigan’s Coast to Coast Gravel Grinder was both the most interesting and hardest. The route spends a bit of time on fun, sandy forest roads which are beautiful and peaceful. The sand and the fact that it is 210 miles makes it the hardest, but totally worth it.

What is your favorite food to consume during a ride?
Margarita-flavored Cliff blocks – they have 3xs the normal sodium in blocks, so they keep me from cramping up.

Hills or wind?
Hills – they are actually my favorite!

Who is that one riding buddy you trust to tell you when your shorts have worn out?
I’m sure Molly Cripe Birt would find a colorful way to tell me …

Are you working toward any cycling goals right now?
Gravel season and most of my events are over, so mostly just trying to get faster and more confident on my mountain bike.

Bike camping: adventure or torture?
Adventure! I love backpacking and cycling, so why not both? I’ve only been a handful of times, but it’s always been really fun.
How do you stay in shape over the winter?
1. Netflix and spin, aka more time than I’d like on the indoor trainer.
2. Dirt Church! Even when it’s around 20 degrees we can usually get a few folks to ride gravel on Sunday morning.
What do you like about riding with the Wabash River Cycle Club?
I’ve enjoyed meeting other female cyclists - sometimes cycling can be a little bro-y